Our waste management operations are governed by several provincial acts and regulations, the Township of South Algonquin‘s Waste Management By-law and individual Certificates of Approval for each waste management site.
Only waste generated from within the geographic boundaries of the Township shall be deposited in the landfill sites. Proof of civic address or demolition permit may be required.
We operate two waste management sites in the township and offer weekly waste collection
Waste collection sites are located at:
Whitney: 462 Nipissing Road
Madawaska: 6319 Highway 523
Things to remember when using waste collection:
- Collection can be anywhere from 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Place your waste at the roadside on the scheduled day of collection.
- If waste gets scattered by animals, it is the property owners’ responsibility to clean up the waste.
- Only household waste will be collected.
- Approved, removable containers are permitted, provided the waste is in a garbage bag.
- Waste must be in garbage bags and weigh less than 18.14 kg or 40 lbs.
- Residents who store household waste in private bins or boxes will be required to remove the waste from these bins on the day of collection and put the waste at the side of the nearest Township-maintained road or public highway. Private bins must be located on private property or off of the obvious road allowance.
Landfill Site Hours of Operation:
WEDNESDAYS – April 6 to October 19: 2:30 pm to 6:30 pm
Starting Wednesday October 26 landfill site hours will be from 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm
SATURDAYS – April 2 to October 29: 8:00 am to 12:00 noon
Spring Cleanup Schedule: Both sites will be open 8:00 am to 3:30 pm Saturdays starting on April 16th until June 4th.
Regular Saturday hours will resume on June 11th.
SUNDAYS – April 24 to October 9: Sundays 10:00 am to 2:00 pm
Household Hazardous Waste Day
To keep harmful materials out of our landfill site, the township offers a Household Hazardous Waste Day.
This event is held annually and alternates between the Madawaska and Whitney waste disposal sites. Usually it’s held in August.
Information regarding the date and location of the next Household Hazardous Waste Day will be provided at the bottom of the page once it has been established.
Examples of item that can be disposed of at the Household Hazardous Waste Day are:
- Automotive and household batteries
- Household medicines and old prescriptions
- Waste oil
- Pesticides, insecticides, herbicides
- Pool chemicals and bleach
- Turpentine, furniture and paint stripper, Varsol, solvents, gasoline, linseed oil, nail polish and remover, barbeque lighter fluids
- Wood preservative, wood stains, anti-freeze, glues, window cleaners, disinfectants, rat and mouse poisons
- Oven cleaners and drain cleaners
- Old propane tanks
- Aerosol containers
- Needles and syringes
- Portable fire extinguishers
- Florescent light bulbs and tubes
- Mercury-containing devices
For your own protection ensure all material is safely contained to transport to the event. All materials must be plainly marked. If you are unsure about an item please contact the office.
Household Hazardous Waste Day August 6, 2022 2022-08-02
Illegal Dumping of Waste
Illegal dumping of waste is a highly visible problem and is an environmental crime. Waste dumped outside the landfill sites during non-operational hours is considered illegal dumping.
Keep the Township of South Algonquin naturally beautiful. Place waste where it belongs — in the landfills.
Items Accepted Free of Charge
At the landfill sites we accept free of charge:
Electronics: Microwaves, all small kitchen appliances, lamps, vacuums, laptops, cell phones, televisions, drills, electronic toys.
Aluminum: Please help by making sure deposited items are made from aluminum. Aluminum is not magnetic (for example soft drink cans and cat food cans).
Large appliances: All appliances are accepted. Please place fridges and freezers in a normal standing position and latching or locking doors must be removed.
Tires: Tires on rims will not be accepted.
Batteries: Most types of batteries (not car batteries) are accepted at both landfill sites. Please sort your batteries and place in the appropriate battery bin. Car batteries can be disposed at our annual Household Hazardous Waste Day. Collection kits for batteries weighing under 5 kg are also available at the municipal office.
Steel: All types of steel are accepted. This includes clean food cans.
Please see the Landfill Site Attendant prior to disposing material to ensure proper location for disposal.
Provincial Waste Programs
The Government of Ontario has instructed existing waste programs to transfer to a Producer Responsibility Model for Tires, Batteries, Electrical Waste and Electronic Equipment, Municipal Hazardous/ Special Waste and Blue Box programs.
This means that companies that design, create and market products will be responsible for managing and paying for their products and packaging for the full life of the item.
What does this means for the Township of South Algonquin?
- Tire program has transitioned to the new model. Residents should bring tires to the landfills. There are no tipping fees associated.
- Battery program has transitioned. Most types of batteries are accepted and can be disposed of at the landfill sites, there are no tipping fees associated. Car batteries can be disposed at to our annual Household Hazardous Waste Day.
- Electronics program has transitioned to the new model. Residents should bring electronics to the landfills, there are no tipping fees associated. Under the new model more items are accepted for example microwaves, all small kitchen appliances, vacuums, televisions, electronic toys etc.
- Municipal Hazardous and Special Waste Program is set to transition on July 1, 2021. This is the program that handles our annual Household Hazardous Waste Day.
- The future transition to the Producer Responsibility Model is ongoing. If you’re interested in learning more about the changes, there is a link to the Resource Productivity and Recovery Authority website below.
Staff continue to engage in this process to ensure that we are able to take advantage of new programs as they become available to us.
Action Day on Litter – May 10th 2022-05-05
Resource Productivity and Recovery Authority
Each landfill site in the Township of South Algonquin has a reuse area where useful items can be deposited or taken home.
Note: Scavenging from other areas in the landfill site is prohibited.
Waste Collection Calendar
The Township of South Algonquin provides weekly collection for household waste in most areas of the township.
The Township sends out the Waste Collection Calendar twice a year. The spring/summer calendar is included with the Interim Tax Bills, which is mailed to all property owners. The fall/winter calendar is circulated to post office boxes in Whitney and Madawaska. A full size version of the current calendar can be downloaded below.
Household Waste Collection Calendar: April to October 2022
View or download the Waste Calendar
Household Waste Collection Calendar: April to October 2022 2022-03-29
Waste Disposal and Landfill Site Fees
Proof of demolition permit or proof of civic address number must be provided.
Type of Service
|Brush, sorted construction and demolition waste from within the geographic boundaries of the Township. Half Ton Truck/Van with /without Small Trailer if brought in by resident||NO CHARGE|
|Wood Chips from within the geographic boundaries of the Township. Half Ton Truck/Van with/without Small Trailer if brought in by resident.||NO CHARGE|
|Tires and Shingles from within the geographic boundaries of the Township brought in by a resident||NO CHARGE|
|Mattresses, box springs and fabric-covered furniture with metal frames or springs e.g. couches, loveseats, sofa chairs||$5.00 per piece|
|Boats/Vessels (Residents are exempt from this fee for a registered vessel with proof of ownership and for vessels rated less than 10hp if it is brought in by the resident)||$5.00/foot|
|Entry into Landfill Site during non-operational hours (Applies to contractor or resident)
Unauthorized landfill site entry during non-operating hours is prohibited.
|If more than one after-hours entry is required, arrangements can be made to have the Landfill Attendant remain on site for the initial entry fee plus per hour rate (Applies to contractor or resident)||$30.00/hr|
Commercial Contractor Construction/Demolition Waste and Brush
|Half-ton truck/van and small trailer (residents are exempt from this fee if brought in by resident)||Sorted $5 • Unsorted $20|
|Large trailer||Sorted $30 • Unsorted $120|
|Single axle||Sorted $50 • Unsorted $200|
|Tandem||Sorted $80 • Unsorted $320|
|Tri-axle||Sorted $120 • Unsorted $500|
|Contaminated soil||$30.00/tonne plus cost-recovery of required equipment|
DocumentsBy-law 16-517 Waste Management 2016-11-03
Household Waste Collection Calendar April to October 2022 2022-03-29