The Township of South Algonquin has two community halls: the Lester B Smith Building in Whitney and the Madawaska Complex in Madawaska.
The community centres in South Algonquin are available for group functions such as meetings, parties, workshops, dances and weddings.
All are welcome to make use of the facilities. Rental fees apply and can be viewed below.
- Rental Fees includes $25.00 non-refundable permit fee to reserve the booking date.
- Fees must be paid in full two weeks prior to the rental date.
- Basic cleaning is the responsibility of the permit holder. Please see the attached guidelines. Additional charges will be applied if these rules are not followed.
- A Damage Deposit is required and includes a $50.00 Key Deposit. The damage deposit amount is refundable, once the building has been inspected and found acceptable and the key is returned.
This facility was opened in 2010. After many years of fundraising and operating out of a variety of other locations, an Infrastructure Ontario Grant allowed the construction of this facility which has become a community hub.
A commercial kitchen compliments the main hall which can host up to 225 guests.
26A Major Lake Road, Madawaska Ontario, K0J 2C0
Madawaska Complex Occupancy 225
Lester B Smith Building
Re-constructed by a group of dedicated volunteers in the early 2000s, this building is home to the Whitney Recreation Committee and the host location for many public events in our community.
There is a full kitchen that includes two free-standing ovens and two fridges.
32 Hay Creek Road, Whitney Ontario, K0J 2M0
Mervin Dupuis Rink
26C Major Lake Road, Madawaska Ontario, K0J 2C0
Locally known as the Madawaska Rink, this is a smaller facility located on the same property as the Madawaska complex and outdoor rink. It’s a warm place to tie your skates and buy a drink or some sweets.
Events at Which Alcohol is Served
To reduce your risk of liability the following rules must be followed:
- Each event sponsor is responsible for obtaining from the LCBO a Special Occasion Permit for serving alcoholic beverages and must show proof of purchase of $1,000,000.00 liability insurance 14 days before the event. Any person serving alcoholic beverages except in accordance with such a permit will be subject to prosecution under the Liquor Licence Act, other provincial statutes and the Criminal Code of Canada.
- Hall Rental Permit Holder must show proof of obtaining a Special Occasion Permit from LCBO. (Recreation Committee must be given the Special Occasion Permit if requested to operate bar on behalf of Hall Rental Permit Holder.)
- All regulations concerning the serving, storage, sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages of the Liquor Control Board of Ontario (LCBO), and the terms of the Special Occasion Permit for the event must be observed.
Hall Rental Fees
Hall Rental Form 2023-01-09
This Article can be found on the following pages: Recreation, you may find other valuable infomation there.