District of Nipissing
Marriage Licences

Marriage Licences


A Marriage Licence can only be issued to the couple being married.

The Marriage Licence Application – Form 3, must be fully completed and signed by both applicants and submitted in person by both or either of the applicants with the appropriate documentation.

Both applicants are required to submit one piece of photo identification and one additional piece of identification:

  • Photo Identification – e.g., Driver’s Licence Current Passport, Canadian Citizenship Card
  • Supporting Identification – e.g., Original Birth Certificate, Record of Immigration Landing, a Change of name Certificate.

Applicants 16 or 17 years of age require parental consent.

If you are divorced you must provide either the Original Certificate of Divorce – Form 36B (has a red seal affixed) or a court certified copy, stating the effective date of the Divorce. If you do not have the Original a certified copy can be obtained from the Court Office where the Divorce was granted. NOTE: Photocopies are not acceptable.

Individuals Divorced outside of Canada – special requirements apply. You will need to obtain the assistance of a solicitor in obtaining a clearance of the Divorce from the foreign Country. A Clearance Certificate will be issued by the Registrar General authorizing the issuance of a Marriage Licence and must be provided together with the Application for Marriage Licence – Form 3.

If the marriage ceremony is not taking place at a church you must provide the civic address (Intended Place of Marriage) on the Marriage Licence Application.

Individuals who are either a widow or widower must provide an original Death Certificate for the deceased spouse.

If you do not understand or read English, you must provide your own interpreter and he/she must provide identification.

There are no residency or citizenship requirements in Ontario and blood tests or medical certificates are not required to obtain a Marriage Licence.

The current Licence fee is $100.00 (resident) $125.00 (non-resident) and is payable by cash, cheque, Interac debit or e-transfer and must be paid at the time of the submission of the Marriage Licence Application.

Both parties are required to attend the municipal office (by appointment) to sign the Marriage Licence in the presence of the Issuer of Licences.

A Marriage Licence is valid for use anywhere in the Province of Ontario and is only valid for a period of three (3) months from the date of issue.

On your wedding day, you must give your marriage license to the officiant.

A marriage licence is different from a marriage certificate. You apply for a marriage certificate after you get married.


Download the Marriage Licence Application

This Article can be found on the following pages: Administration, you may find other valuable infomation there.
Skip to content