The Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA) is a law passed by the Ontario legislature that allows the government to develop and enforce standards for accessibility. The purpose of the AODA is to have a fully accessible Ontario by 2025. In order to achieve this goal, the province is establishing accessibility standards in five different areas:
- Customer Service
- Built Environment
- Information and Communications
- Transportation, and
The Accessibility Standard for Customer Service, O. Reg 429/7 was the first standard to become law, and came into effect for the public sector on January 1, 2010.
Accessible Customer Service Policy
The Township of South Algonquin has developed an Accessibility Standards for customer service Plan
The policy includes information on:
- Provision of goods and services to persons with disabilities
- Communication with persons with disabilities
- Use of assistive devices, service animals and support persons
- Notice of disruption in services
- Training requirements for staff, contractors and volunteers
- Feedback process
- Document requirements
The policy document is available below or in paper copy from the Municipal Office upon request.
- The municipality will provide or arrange for provision of accessible format and with communication support, in a timely manner that takes into account the person’s accessibility needs and at a cost that is no more than the regular cost charged to other persons.
- The individualized emergency response information will be provided as soon as practicable and shared with the person designated to provide assistance to the employee, with the employee’s consent.
- By-Law 21-665, the Township of South Algonquin Procurement By-Law can be found below.
Our goal at the Township is to meet and surpass customer service expectations while serving people with disabilities. We welcome and appreciate all comments on our delivery of service, as it helps us identify areas where improvements can be made. Feedback may be provided in person, by telephone or fax, in writing or by email. Download a printable version of our Feedback Form, and return it to the address below. Forms are also available at the Township offices.
For more Information, contact:
Accessibility Standards for Customer Service Plan 2012-11-19
Accessibility Customer Feedback Form 2020-12-14
Accessibility Plan Update 2021-12-08
Accessible Policies 2021-12-08
By-Law 2021-665 Procurement By-Law 2021-12-08
Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities (Ministry of Community and Social Services)
This Article can be found on the following pages: Administration, you may find other valuable infomation there.