The Township of South Algonquin offers weekly roadside household collection. In most areas pick up could be anytime between 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on the scheduled day of your pickup. The Township tries to maintain the same daily schedule; however there may be circumstances when it is required to change the daily schedule. Please see the Waste Collection Calendar for the daily pickup schedule.
The fall/winter waste collection calendar was sent to all post offices boxes within Whitney, Madawaska and to South Algonquin residents having post office boxes in Lake St. Peter, Barry's Bay and Maynooth. If you are in any of these areas and are not receiving the waste collection calenders please speak to your Post Master. The spring/ summer calendars are included with the Interim Tax Bills, which is mailed to all property owners or can be downloaded from this site.
The Township has two local Landfill Sites
- For residents in the Dickens, Lyell, Murchison wards area visit 6319 Highway 523
- For residents in Airy and Sabine wards area visit 462 Nipissing Road
Our waste management operations are governed by the Certificate of Approval issued by the Ministry of Environment.
The Township of South Algonquin is involved in recycling programs such as, The Ontario Tire Stewardship Program which recycles tires (tires on rims will not be accepted), The Ontario Electronic Stewardship Program which offers electronic waste recycling. (see in documents below) There is also a scrap metal recycling program and aluminum recycling.
Once a year, the Township offers a Household Hazardous Waste Day. Please continue to check this site for next event.
Recycle, Reuse, Reduce
WE RECYCLE: Electronics----Tires-----Steel----Appliances----Aluminum----Batteries (up to 5kg each)----Cell Phones
WE DIVERT: Clean Wood - Only brush, unpainted or untreated wood may be deposited in the brush area.
WE REUSE: Items suitable for reuse may be placed in the Reuse Area.
WE REDUCE-SHREDDING: Most waste that is not Hazardous, Household, Clean Wood, Reusable or Recyclable may be deposited in the Shredding Pile. Please do not dispose food in the Shredding Pile.
WE REDUCE-FURNITURE: Furniture & mattresses may be deposited in the Furniture Pile.
Please see the Landfill Site Attendant prior to disposing material to ensure proper location for disposal.
Landfill Site Hours of Operation:
April 2 to November 2, 2016:
- Wednesday 2:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.
- Saturday 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. (noon)
- SUNDAYS May 1 to October 9, 2016:
12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
NOVEMBER 5, 2016 to MARCH 29, 2017:
- Wednesday 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Saturday 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. (noon)
SPRING CLEANUP SCHEDULE
- Starting on Saturday, April 23, 2016 both landfill sites will be open from 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. until Saturday, June 11, 2016.
- Regular Saturday hours will commence on Saturday, June 18, 2016 (8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.)
Please take all waste to the landfill sites during operational hours.
Illegal Dumping of Waste
Illegal Dumping of waste is a highly visible problem and is an environmental crime. Small bags to larger scale items that is deposited/tipped/dumped onto land or into water where no licence or approval exists is considered illegal dumping.
Waste deposited anywhere other than landfill sites will be considered illegal dumping and is subject to fines up to $5,000.00 as per By-Law 14-454.
Waste Management Documents
- Waste Collection Calendar April to October 20172017-03-09
- 2017 Household Hazardous Waste Day2017-02-24
- Waste Management Committee Minutes2017-02-23
- Waste Management By-Law 16-5172017-02-14
- Household Waste Collection Calendar Nov. to March 20172016-11-01
- Cell Phone and Battery Recycling Program2016-09-20
- Electronic Recycling2013-12-20