The Township of South Algonquin’s Building Department reviews permit applications, issues permits, and conducts inspections in accordance with the Ontario Building Code and Township By-Laws. The primary purpose of inspections is the promotion of public safety through the application of appropriate uniform standards while safeguarding buildings where we live, work and play.
Tracy Cannon, Planning & Building Administrator
Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Phone: 613-637-2650 Ext. 203
Projects That Require a Building Permit
Under the Ontario Building Code Act, a building permit is required to construct demolish, renovate, alter, install or change the use of a building. The following is examples that require a building permit prior to construction.
Any building or structure measured by outside dimensions exceeding 108 ft2, or 10m2 (roughly 10ft. x 10ft.) This includes sheds, prefab sheds, sleeping cabins or other accessory buildings or structures.
- Additions to existing buildings or structures, including decking
- Renovations that involve structural framing.
- Replacement of doors or windows if the opening size is enlarged.
- Repair or replacement of all types of building foundations.
- Swimming Pools & Fence enclosures.
Projects That DO NOT Require a Building Permit
The following examples are work that does not require a building permit however, you must still comply with the Township of South Algonquin’s Building By-Law and, if applicable the Ontario Building Code.
- Accessory buildings with a floor less than 108 ft2, or 10m2 (roughly 10ft. x 10ft.)
- Replacement of plumbing fixtures (toilet, sink, bathtub, shower, hot water tank) in their original
- Replacement of doors and windows provided the opening size is not changed.
- Replacement of shingles or other roofing materials. However, if you are replacing or adding new roof trusses a building permit is required.
- $0.50 per square foot for habitable buildings.
- $0.30 per square foot for accessory buildings,
- $0.30 per square foot for additions, renovations, alterations or repairs
- $0.50 per square foot for commercial buildings.
- $100.00 minimum fee for decks.
- $100.00 minimum fee for any of the above listed
See Schedule of Fees By-Law for additional permit fees (see in documents below)
- $150.00 Residential demolition
- $150.00 Commercial demolition (under 6000 sq. ft.)
- $250.00 Commercial demolition (over 6000 sq. ft.)
Note: Contact the Township Office to arrange landfill site entry.
In accordance with Part 8 – Sewage Systems of the Ontario Building Code all new septic systems,
alterations or repairs requires a permit. The following is the required information to apply for a Sewage System Permit:
- Completion of application – (incorrect or missing information may result in delays)
- A detailed drawing is required by the installer (not sketch).
- Payment (PDF- By-Law Schedule of fees) See below for this document.
- A test hole must be dug and approved by the Inspector prior to commencement of work.
NOTE: Inspection appointments are necessary. Please contact Tracy Cannon to arrange an inspection.
The Township of South Algonquin may be able to retrieve septic system information for systems that were previously installed. Please complete the Septic File Search Form below and forward the completed form along with $50.00 file search fee to the Township Office.
Michael Anderson, Chief Building Official is available on a limited schedule.
Please contact Tracy Cannon, Planning & Building Administrator to schedule appointments, inspections and site visits at 613-637-2650 ext. 203 Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. or email email@example.com
Building/Planning Department Documents
- Code of Conduct - Chief Building Official 2020-03-12
- Schedule of Fees By-Law 19-5882019-03-25
- Comprehensive Zoning By-Law 2017-5272018-04-10
- Installation of Septic Systems by Homeowners2016-12-20
- Frequently Asked Questions2014-06-26
- Septic File Search Form2013-12-20
- Authorization of Owners2013-12-20
- Application to Construct /Demolish and Septic2013-12-20
- Building By-law #09-3352013-12-20